When looking for maternity clothing, there's a few important things to keep in mind:
- Comfort: Look for clothes made of soft, stretchy fabric that will accommodate your growing belly and provide room for movement. Fabrics with a high cotton on bamboo content will allow your body to breath, which is so important during pregnancy!
- Fit: Choose clothing that fits well and is not too tight around the waist or chest. Remember that your body is undergoing some pretty impressive changes- so allow a little extra space for your expanding boobs and belly.
- Durability: Maternity clothes will be worn for a relatively short period of time, but they tend to be worn multiple times a week because who wants to replace their entire wardrobe in one go? It's important to choose items that are well-made and will hold up to frequent wear and washing.
- Versatility: Look for clothing that can be dressed up or down and can be worn for a variety of occasions. Stick to basic colours or simple patterns so you can really maximise your wear!
- Accessibility: Look for clothes that allow for easy nursing access, such as tops with buttons or zippers. There are lots of styles now with additional fabric layers which make discreet breastfeeding easier.
- Support: Look for clothing that provides support to your growing belly and back. Brands like 2XU, SRC Recovery and Blanqi offer compression type garments that are recommended by physios to take a little pressure off your back and pelvis.
- Cost effective: Maternity clothes are worn for a limited period of time, so it is important to find clothes that are affordable and cost-effective. Buying preloved maternity and nursing clothing is particularly good for this reason, you can find great stuff at consignment stores like ours, or even Facebook Marketplace, Depop or op-shops.